The year is coming to an end and we are excited to have survived such a difficult time given the COVID pandemic. By working together, per our theme of WePowerment, we managed the crisis. Our COVID response strategies had a good impact:
- November was a busy time for students in the computer lab as they worked on their emails and videos to sponsors. We also continued supporting home school for students.
- In November the caseworkers completed another round of COVID-19 assessments. From the assessments, we have noted an improvement in families returning to work.
- 88% of families had at least one family member working in November compared to under 70% of families in July.
- 24% of students have gone back to school (majority of post-secondary students, Grade 4, Grade 8, and Form 4 students), This is after the partial resumption of school in October with priority given to candidates who are about to transition to the next level of education.
- In November we focused on an essay project. Students shared their experience reading literature books during the long school break where every month each student received a book to read. The goal is to send the essays to sponsors as a way of connecting on how students spent their time during the COVID-19 school break. You can read these handwritten essays in your sponsor portal.
- We have continued with the Food From Friends program where we have been feeding approximately 300 families every month. In December we issued our last batch of family food aid during our Annual Gathering Meeting held on 3rd December. The families were very appreciative of the program and the support it has accorded them during such a difficult time. December is the last food issuance month as we plan to refocus on education come January 2021 when all students are expected to go back to school.
Looking Ahead- back to school plan
All students are expected to resume school on January 4th, 2021 for their second term. It will be a unique year with four terms instead of three. We are currently working on back-to-school supplies and uniforms to ensure students return to school with all they need. We have also reworked our school transportation to ensure students are transported to school in a safe and secure manner by using more private transportation, especially for students within Nairobi.
Finally, we appreciate our donors and supporters for your continued support during such a challenging time. We wish you all Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year. Together we are making a difference.