Friends of Ngong Road is in its twelfth operating year and for nearly a decade has held a summer camp outside of Nairobi. It is a chance for students to get out of the slums, enjoy their own beautiful country, learn about subjects not taught in the traditional Kenyan schools such as sexual and reproductive health, have fun, and meet people like you!
Volunteers from the U.S. are invited to participate in camp by leading arts and crafts, discussion groups, education sessions, variety show acts, crazy games, and more! Whatever your niche or expertise is, we are likely to be able to find a place for you.
One volunteer will win a $1,000 travel grant to participate in camp! The application is due April 15. This grant is awarded to a candidate who can fully participate in camp and be an advocate for the program when returning to the U.S.
Volunteering at camp gives you the chance to:
- Build deep relationships with students and staff. Most who travel to Kenya say that their favorite part is meeting the people. You’ll be eating, playing, and exploring with students, staff and other local and U.S. volunteers. There will be tons of opportunities to get to know the students and staff and develop lifelong relationships. We’re sure you’ll say “the people” as your favorite memory too!
- Experience local customs, traditions, and culture. Food, games, songs, and more! You’ll be immersed in local culture and tradition throughout your trip.
- See the beauty of Kenya! Camp is located in Nanyuki, Kenya. You will fly into Nairobi and travel with the other volunteers to Moi Equator Girls Secondary School in Nanyuki where camp 2018 will be held. It is a beautiful part of Kenya near Mt. Kenya!
- Challenge yourself with an experience of a lifetime! You’ll be asked to participate by leading a session, playing games, chaperoning a field trip, engaging in normal camp routines like cleaning your dishes and keeping your bunk area tidy, and being a listening ear for students throughout camp – all needed roles at camp.
Camp 2018 Dates:
- Post-Secondary Camp: 8/6 to 8/8
- Leadership Camp: 8/8 to 8/11
- Grammar Camp (10-14 year olds): 8/11 to 8/15
- Senior Camp (high school students): 8/16 to 8/22
It is preferred that the travel grant winner can participate in at least Leadership through Senior Camp, but if the full period is not doable with your schedule, Friend of Ngong Road is willing to have a conversation about travel dates.
Are you or someone you know interested?
- Click here to learn more and apply for the grant.
- Contact Development Director, Lacey Kraft, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Submit your application to email@example.com by April 15.
You will be notified by May 1 so that you can arrange your travel plans for August!