A library is started. In March of 2008, a kind donor gave the seed money to start a small library in one of our selected schools. The following March through the donations of two sponsors and the efforts of a young volunteer we moved it to our offices and firmly established what we believe may be the first lending library for children in all of Dagoretti and the certainly the only one to which the children in our program have access.
- We have about 1,400 books, plus an additional 300+ books on three Kindles.
- The library is open every day during school holidays, every Saturday and on weekdays by appointment or as appropriate and possible for our partner schools and children in the program.
- We have a volunteer caseworker who maintains and monitors the usage of the books.
- Because classroom instruction in Kenya is done primarily in English the books are mostly in English.
- Our books are shelved in Early Readers, Fiction, and Nonfiction by category.
- In addition to books we are building a DVD and books on CD section.